Electrical safety is something that should not be taken lightly. The best way to avoid the electrical hazard is by learning about it. Some of the most common electrical hazards are given below along with the ways to handle them:
- Old wiring– Faulty wiring is one of the leading causes of the house fires. You should call an experienced electrician like Electrician Fountain Hills once in every few years to check the condition of the wiring in your home. The most obvious sign of the damaged wiring is flickering light. When the light of your home flickers for no apparent reason, it means that the fault is with your wires. It’s a sign that you should call an electrician to fix the issue as early as possible.
- Overloaded circuits– Your outlets are designed to handle only the certain amount of load and if it increases beyond its capacity, it can cause an electrical fire. Using power strips, extension cords or adapter is a most common practice when you don’t have sufficient numbers of outlets to fulfill your need. It results in overloading the circuits. When the circuit overloads it causes the breaker to trip. If your breaker is tripping frequently, it’s a sign to remove a few devices from the outlets.
- Overused extension cord– Extension cords are used to plug in many devices in an outlet. But remember that they are only for the temporary use, if used for the prolonged duration it can overload the circuit causing the risk of house fires. Another bad effect of using an extension cord is that you or anyone else in your home can trip due to the cord which can break the cord and can cause fire hazards. If you need a few more outlets in your home get them installed rather than resorting to the method of using the extension cords.
- Water– The areas which are near the water like swimming pool, kitchen and bathroom need special kind of outlets so as to prevent the shock. These special types of outlets are called as GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter). They shut down the power after detecting the water nearby. Thus they reduce the risk of shock and electrocution. It should always be kept in mind that water and electricity should not come into contact. If an appliance is plugged in and it gets wet, don’t try to unplug it without shutting off the power.
- High wattage bulb– Installing a high watt bulb in a socket which is meant to accommodate the low wattage bulb, can overload the wiring of the socket. Use the bulb which the socket can accommodate to avoid any electrical complications.
- Child protection– If you have children in your home, it’s important to make your home safe for your children. They should not put their fingers, pins, pen in the outlets. To protect the children from any risk, the outlets with the child safety plates are installed in the home. When the outlets are not in use the plate automatically snaps in its place.
- Smoke alarms– A working smoke alarms are very necessary to prevent the electrical hazards. It becomes important to check your smoke alarm every month. Change the batteries if you found them dead. You should change the batteries of the smoke alarm every six months.
- Damaged cords– If any of your appliances have a broken or damaged cord, refrain from using the appliance. The damaged wires can cause shocks, burns, and fires. To prevent the cord from getting damaged, you should always pull the plug from the plastic handle. Yanking the cord from the outlet is going to damage the cord.